Abstract and Paper Submission Instructions
If you are presenting a paper at an AAAI-sponsored or affiliated event, AAAI will maintain an electronic copy of your abstract and an electronic copy of your paper as well in the AAAI digital archive. This paper will be maintained permanently on this site. It is therefore important that you prepare your paper with care, follow the formatting instructions for authors, and complete the forms on the submission site with care.
Submitting a paper to AAAI Press is now a multistep process. In the first step, you will be gathering together all your files and preparing your camera copy. In the second step, you will be registering on the submission site. In the third step, you will be submitting data about the paper and uploading a PDF and a compressed archive of your paper. (If you prefer, an illustrated version of these instructions with screenshots is available.)
Step One: Initial Preparation
- READ THE AUTHORS INSTRUCTIONS and the FORMATTING INSTRUCTIONS FIRST.
- Check every page of your paper on screen before submitting it (there is no excuse for submitting a paper, for example, that doesn't have a top margin on page 2, or is missing graphics)
- Use the CURRENT (2011) AAAI style file or template (all papers, including symposia and workshop papers, must be formatted in AAAI two-column style. The LaTeX style file (and the Word template) have changed for 2010.
- Create a directory that is your family name. Next gather together all the source files that are required to compile your paper (including style files, bib files, and so forth) and put them into that directory. Now tar or zip the directory. This will be your Supplementary File.
Step Two: Open an Account
To submit your paper to AAAI Press, you must open an account on the AAAI Press Submission Site (this is not the same site you used to submit your paper for review). You may find the following instructions helpful:
Important! Only the author responsible for the paper should submit, and only the author responsible for the paper needs to register. Please do this well before the camera-ready deadline, as the site requires an e-mail confirmation that, depending on traffic, may be significantly delayed. If you wait until the deadline to open an account, it is likely that you will be unable to submit your paper.
To open an account, please go to the site indicated by the link the end of this page for your conference.
If you already have an account with another conference on the AAAI Press submission site, click the link and follow the instructions. Otherwise proceed.
First, choose a username and password.
Next, using mixed case, (upper and lower-case letters), provide the following (required) information:
- Your First Name
- Your Last Name
- Your Affiliation (if you are not affiliated with a company or university, put Independent Researcher) (Your affiliation should just be your University or Company — not your department or lab). Please don't abbreviate the affiliation.
- Your e-mail address
- The country in which you live (you can speed up the pull-down list by typing the first letters of your country)
Now click the boxes
- Send me a confirmation email
- Author: Able to submit items to the conference.
The remaining fields are optional. They are helpful, however, to readers of your paper who might want to know something about you. A bio statement would be your title and department, such as, for example:
- Assistant Professor
- Department of Computer Science
Please complete this registration with care, as some of the information you provide will be used as the basis for the table of contents and index to the proceedings. Your e-mail will always be hidden from readers.
Step Three: Submit Your Paper
Once you have formatted your paper, you need to submit two items:
- Your PDF (the submission)
- All your source files (either all the LaTeX files required to compile your paper on a different computer or your Word doc file) in a single compressed archive (this file is what you will submit as a Supplementary File).
Please ensure that your source file is your family name, and that your compressed archive decompresses into a directory also named with your family (last) name. That way, we can readily identify it with you. It is often impossible to find these directories when they decompress into names such as "paper" or "camera ready" or the conference name. If you use such names, you assume the risk that your paper won't be published.
Once you have these two files, it is time to go back to the AAAI Press site. You may find the following page helpful:
Log in, choose Author, and click on Step One of the Submission Process
The forms are pretty self-explanatory. If you find you don't have all the information readily at hand, you can interrupt the process and go back and finish the submission later on. However, some items are critically important.
First, use Mixed Case when completing the title and authors. Don't use all lower case for your title or your name. Don't use all upper case for your surname or family name. The information you provide will be used to compile the table of contents, so all the information you provide must be entered carefully and completely, and using Mixed Case. This includes, for example, your paper title. If you registered properly, your personal information will be entered automatically. Please review it, and be sure your country is included.
Second, include all the authors of your paper. You'll need to click the Add Author button to do this. Please include their country and affiliation. This information will be included in the index. If you omit an author, they won't get credit for the publication. You can change the author order using the small up and down arrows on the screen. The author order should correspond to the order the names appear on your formatted paper.
Third, include an abstract, even if you submitted your abstract to AAAI as part of AAAI's paper review process, and even if your paper is nothing more than extended abstract. Authors of extended abstracts who did not include abstract on their paper should create a two or three sentence description of their paper.
Third, submit your PDF as the submission, and don't forget to include your compressed archive as a Supplementary File. The title of this supplementary file should be your paper title followed by the words Compressed Archive. If you don't submit this archive, we can't proceed with publication of your paper.
Finally, at the last screen, click on Active Submissions to ensure that your submission is complete. You will receive a confirming e-mail.
Links for ACCEPTED Authors
Please choose your event from the list below:
If you make a mistake, do not start a new submission. To change your paper do the following:
- Log in to your user account
- Select the Author link
- Select your paper title
- Select Add a Supplementary File
- Name this file Revised Archive (and be sure that it contains a new PDF as well as corrected source files
We will then use the PDF in your new supplementary file archive instead of the original submission. It helps if you indicate the changes that were made in the paper.
If you have questions, please consult the following web page:
Corrections to Papers After the Submission Deadline
If you discover an error in your paper after the submission deadline, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible (the earlier we know about it, the greater the likelihood that we can do something about it). You will be required to pay a resubmission fee to cover costs of redoing work already completed. Please do not contact the conference chairs, as that will only result in a delay in our learning about the problem.
We do not grant extensions for late submissions and we do not ever guarantee publication of late papers. You need to submit your paper on time.
We're sorry, we cannot accept e-mail submissions. You need to use the submission site.